2011년 3월 8일 화요일

The Giver

This book was recommended by a teacher at a academy. When I saw this book cover it had a picture of an old man with a very white and long beard. Well, it looked quite boring. The teacher said it was a very fun book and when she read it she couldn't stop reading. I thought it was a exasperation. At the end of the day I slowly opened the book. Then like magic I felt like a wind swooshing me and getting me inside the book.
 The story goes like this....
There is a little world that Jonas lives in. In that world everything is perfect. There is no choice, pain, and war. Every person is being watched.  Each year they have a ceremony. When they turn 9, they get a bycicle, 9 years old get get their hair cut up to their ears. In another year they get a jacket. But the most important ceremony is a 12year ceremony. It is a day when the 12 get their jobs. Other people pick out someone's job. Jonas got the greatest job in the community he becomes the Receiver. The Receiver can do many powerful things. He can lie which was impossible to do. And you can ask for anything. For example he could tell the person to let the speaker off. It was the first day to have a special training from the Giver. He went to the Giver. When time passed he knew many things such as pain, happiness, and loneliness. It was his job to receive the memories that were from the past. He also saw colors.  One day he was curious what did his father do to the babies that were twins. In his community they didn't allow twins and elders. They were 'realesed'. Jonas asked the Giver so he could show what his father did. But at the time he saw it he cried. "My father killed the babies!" He cried sorrowfully and said he wasn't going home. At last he tried running his community. Too painful of hunger.
The story lasts at this point. It was a very sad and interesting story. I think it was the best book that I read. The author is imagining about a world with no pain. No problem to happen. But still there are having problems. It tells you nothing is perfect. In this society there was no freedom of choice. By reading this book I felt it is very important that I can choose things  I want. Although it may be the wrong and difficult choice.






댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기